Monday, October 20, 2008

So you think you can sew?

Well, actually, I really can't sew very well. A few buttons here and there is the extent of my seamstress skills, but I'm determined that this year is the year that I learn how to sew. I've got a couple of dress patterns yearning to be made up, but have started for my first project with the old converting jeans into a skirt trick. These comfy and trusty old Levis saw me through most of high school, but years of wear and tear and badly frayed inner leg seams saw them retired a while ago. Now I'm hoping I can breathe new life into them, with my wonky handstitching (our sewing machine is broken) and a bit of a crooked hem (I just realised that after taking the photo. oh well).



It's taking me quite a while what with hand stitching as slow as I do, but I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the week(!).

- Robyn

PS Thankyou for all the birthday wishes everyone! Unfortunately my brother's birthday present to me was his cold, so I have been spending the day napping, watching TV and sewing. Quiet dinner tonight and Top Gear Australia - woot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your cold goes away before saturday! I'm going to be in the city from about lunchtime because I'm celebrating my birthday with like 3 different sets of friends who don't know each other hehe. I should be around Madame Brussels probably from 5-6pm sorta thing? The Vines gig starts at 8.30 so we'll be there till then.

mummabee said...

I'm interested to see how the skirt turns out - I'm planning on doing this with a retiring pair of jeans too!

Cheryl said...

Good luck with your skirt! I'm making one too. The weather is terrible. I hope your cold goes away soon.